As you may know, Mark has been diagnosed with a very rare form of leukemia that less that 1% of patients have. He’s in this for the long haul. He’s moved to Rochester, NY for treatment where he has a support network including his mother and sister, Faye.
Although he has insurance, expenditures will rapidly pile up that are not covered by insurance.
Mark has dedicated himself to assuring that other outdoor enthusiasts enjoy their outdoor recreational experience opportunities, on both private and public lands, safely. From building and maintaining miles of trails in Glacier National Park, studying avalanche potential above the railroad, recovering avalanche fatalities and sharing those lessons learned, to guiding backcountry ski trips in Colorado and serving on Whitefish Mountain Resort ski patrol, it’s been his focus to assure that folks enjoy themselves, enjoy the beautiful outdoors and get home safely to their families.
Now it’s our turn to assure that Mark gets home to his family, and that includes us, his extended family of coworkers at Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort, Glacier National Park, the Flathead National Forest, the Flathead Avalanche Center and BNSF railroad. As a summer “seasonal” employee of Glacier National Park, his employment and income will end on October 11. From there it’s going to be up to us to help cushion him through the winter. Mark is this for the long haul.
Follow My Blog
Our fundraiser is this Thursday, Sept. 19, beginning at 5pm at the Glacier Guides/Montana Raft located at 11970 U.S. Highway 2 in West Glacier.
Thanks to the greater Flathead Community for an amazing list of donations to be auctioned and raffled at this Support Mark 2019 Fundraiser. Contact your friends, family, and business associates and let them know about these great offers. If you have friends who live out-of-the-area but would like to bid on these items, you can be their proxy. Use your cell phone and keep them in touch with the auction as you bid for them. Check out the great list of adventure items and overnight stays – great for your friends and family to come visit!
Please join this fundraising event for Mark, take part in the auction, enter the raffle for your chance to take home any of these great items, plus many more that aren’t listed:
- Rocky Mountain Outfitters: outdoor gear package for winter and avalanche safety
- Whitefish Mountain Resort: adult annual ski pass
- Glacier Adventure Guides: snowshoe trip for 4
- Winter Woods Dog Sled Tour
- Electrician Justin Halverson: 8 hours of electrical service – top of the line electrician, new construction, remodel, big jobs, small jobs
- Valerie McIntyre Photography: 6 “buy-it-now” photo shots
- Glacier Guides/Montana Raft: 1 day rental of a Bicycle or Stand-Up Paddle Board
- Music-One Workshop in Kalispell: Acoustic Guitar
- Heidi Haugen Pottery: Two hanging lanterns made especially for this event
- Lobster Pirate Bohemian Jewelry: Leather and turquoise bracelet with buffalo nickel button
- Hunter & Company: designer lamp
- Abbott Valley Homestead and Cedar Creek Lodge: overnight stays
A wide variety of gift certificates including:
- Abruzzo Italian Restaurant
- Gunsight Restaurant
- Spotted Bear Spirits
- Polebridge Mercantile
- Northern Lights Saloon
- Uptown Hearth
- Glacier View Golf Course
- Azul Coffee
An amazing collection of artwork and handiwork from our very talented local artisans, including:
- Canvas prints
- Framed photography, metal photos, framed agate stone,
- Hand-made blankets, lap quilts and rag rugs, knit items,
- Tote bags
- Ceramics and pottery
- Unique lamp made from the wood of Sperry Chalet!
Adventure items including:
- Tuition to an avalanche rescue class and the pack pull of safety gear to go with it
- Children’s kayak
- Overnight stay in a variety of cabins, chalets and a unique geodome!
- Plus two trailer loads of firewood – who can’t use that!!!
Great stuff for you horses and dogs including:
- Hand-made horse ropes, 4-knot stiff halter, double-braided lead and double braid/loop sport reins by Kotty Girlz
- 1 day/night boarding, 1 bath and dog treats from Glacier Bark Kennels
- Goodie box and gift certificate for veterinary care from Whitefish Animal Hospital
The live auction will start promptly at 6pm!!!
In addition, some of our fabulous local breweries have donated kegs and canned beer for the event! Thanks to Backslope Brewery, Great Northern Brewery, Great Northern Bar, Flathead Lake Brewing Company, and Kalispell Brewing Company. (Proper ID will be required)
The evening will also feature a pot luck, with the Last Chair Restaurant from Whitefish providing vegetarian and meat lasagnas! Please bring your favorite dish or specialty to share. Plates and utensils will be supplied but feel free to bring your own.
Come enjoy good food, drink and fellowship with other friends of Mark Dundas and bid on some fantastic items to support him through this challenging time.
Join the Fun!~
- Live Music by the Belton Blues Band (you might want to bring a camp chair)
We’ll follow with continued support. Send cards and letters to 24 Hidden Valley Rochester, NY 14624. Since he’s in Rochester, NY for treatment he’s separated from the Flathead/Glacier community that he loves. So let’s reach out and keep him in our thoughts as this winter approaches.
Go Fund Me
We created a site to help raise money for Mark’s rare blood cancer treatment. gofundme.com. Type Mark Dundas in the search icon in the top left corner and his name will appear.
Collect pages of fun memories for Mark
Create a page or two and bring them to the fundraiser. Each page will be put in a plastic sleeve and added to the binder as a collection of fun times. We will mail it to Mark by mid-October.
A collection box will be set up on a table for people who want to create pages at the fundraiser. Pages should be in 8.5 x 11″ paper. Those who want to find photos and put them together can email their pages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are a couple sample pages – anything goes – photos, jokes, stories.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.